Saturday, January 19, 2008

Looking Out the Window

"All the desks of my life have faced windows and except for an overwrought two-year period in the late Photo of Michael Pollan's Writing House taken by John Peden1980s when I worked on a word processor, I have always spent most of my time staring out the window, noting what is there, daydreaming or brooding. Most of the so-called imaginative life is encompassed by these three activities that blend so seamlessly together, not unlike reading the dictionary, as I often do as well, entire mornings can slip by, in a blissful daze of preoccupation. It's bizarre to me that people think that I am 'prolific' and that I must use every spare minute of my time when in fact, as my intimates have always known, I spend most of my time looking out the window. (I recommend it.)"

-- Joyce Carol Oates, In the Studio (The American Poetry Review, July/Aug 2003)