Thursday, February 14, 2008

To Celebrate in Private

My Mistress Sparrow is Dead: Great stories, from Chehov to MunroJeffrey Eugenides: One of the first things my wife Karen and I decided when we got together was that we would never celebrate Valentine's Day. One of the first things that made me fall in love with her was our mutual mutual antipathy for Valentine's Day.

Michele Norris: What? Wait a minute. An author who puts together a collection of love stories has a total antipathy towards Valentine's Day?

JE: Oh, yes. Don't you think it's the cheapening and commodification of something rare that we'd all like to celebrate in private and at our own time? 

MN: I personally like flowers and chocolate.

-- From 'My Mistress's Sparrow' Gives Love a Bad Name, All Things Considered (2/13/08)